Prepare for your internship with our top tips
There are a number of useful tips you can learn before you come to complete your internship in London, which will help you to feel more prepared for when you arrive in the capital city of the United Kingdom.
1. Always, always, always stand on the right when you are on the escalators. If you want to walk up do so on the left, but be warned some of the walks up the escalators can be tiring!
And don't do this:
2. Remember that cars drive on the left in the United Kingdom, so check the road carefully before you cross.
3. Once you get used to London’s transport, it’s very easy to jump onto a tube to take you from A to B, however some tube stations are very close to one another. Walking to your destination will not only help you save money but you’ll also get to see some pretty cool things.
Then again, there's always interesting things on the tubes too...
4. Always check the weather forecast! The weather in the UK can be very unpredictable, so always dress accordingly (or always carry an umbrella).
5. If you want to see a play or do something specific in London, it is advisable to book ahead so that it doesn’t sell out and sometimes it’s even cheaper to book things in advance. However, if you have left it to the last minute to see a play or musical, there is a stall in Leicester Square that sells tickets for plays on the day (or next couple of days) and sometimes it is at a discounted price!
6. London is busy. Prepare for big busy crowds, especially if it is rush hour (when people are heading to or coming home from work). Try to avoid using public transport during rush hour; nobody wants a sweaty armpit in their face! It is also worth noting that if you want to do shopping on Oxford Street, try to go early to avoid large crowds (especially on Saturdays).
7. One of the best ways to experience British culture? Sample the food! I suggest fish and chips as a must and also try a Sunday Roast, it is to die for (well for the British folk).
8. Whilst tourists may complain about London being expensive, remember there are many things to do and see that won’t cost you anything! Most museums and art galleries in London are FREE, check out what else you can do for free in London.
9. To save yourself from confusion and getting lost (although sometimes when you get lost, you can find hidden gems) you should always map out your routes and always have a map with you or your mobile phone with maps. Check out these top travel apps for London.
Check out our website for more information about our internships.