It is well known that gaining work experience in a foreign country can really benefit you and improve your CV. But the prospect of moving abroad can be scary, especially if you don’t know what to expect from your internship. So here are some tips to help ease your nerves before your internship:
- Before you come to the UK, it is best to practice your English as much as possible, so that when you start working in an English speaking environment you are ready to effectively communicate.
- Listen carefully to instructions given by your manager, and if you aren’t sure about something make sure you ask. Don’t be afraid to ask for additional help if you don’t know how to do something; this is all about your learning experience.
- Attend your work every day and be on time, this will help you get the most from your internship and will show that you are keen to learn. Being punctual and reliable are also very desirable traits that you can include on your CV.
- Be enthusiastic and have a positive can-do attitude. When your manager assigns you tasks to do, make sure you do them in a timely fashion and try your hardest to complete the tasks to a high standard.
- Wear appropriate clothes to the internship – if you aren’t sure what clothes you should wear to your work experience, ask your Twin placement officer or the company.
- Embrace the UK’s culture; if you have an internship in the bustling city of London, you are in luck! There is so much for you to do and see in your spare time, to find out what you can do during your time in the UK, check out Time Out’s website. London also offers plenty of opportunity for you to embrace your own culture – you’ll be sure to find something that reminds you of home.
- Make some friends; life is always better when you share it with people you love. Be friendly and welcoming to the people you meet and say yes to new and exciting activities as much as possible. There are various ways you can make new friends, such as our social programme, co-workers at your internship and by joining clubs/groups/classes.
- Explore your surroundings. In London city you are able to find something new every time you go out. So go on some adventures and discover the city.
- Have fun! This is your chance to learn new skills and experience a new country, but remember to have fun whilst you are in the UK.