Cookie Consent by

Everything you need to know about a Tier 4 visa

Learn about Tier 4 visas and discover whether you need one before you come to the UK to complete your internship.


Are you about to embark on an internship in the UK? If so, you need to start preparing for it, which means you need to pack, sort out all your necessary documents and get super excited about your future! 

If you are an EU citizen then you are ready to make arrangements to move in. However, if you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you will need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to be granted the right to live and study in the UK.

In order to be eligible, you must be aged 16 or over and have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course depending on your circumstances. Furthermore, you must be able to read, speak, write and understand English.

You can start your application up to 3 months before the course start date, however be aware that the decision to approve a visa takes 3 weeks. Each visa application made incurs a £335 fee. You will be able to arrive a week before the course starts if you are studying for 6 months or less, otherwise if you are studying for longer then you may arrive up to a month earlier.

Once you have your visa, there will be a handful of things you can do. Besides studying, you will be able to apply to extend your stay, work in some jobs (depending on your course level), and work as a student union sabbatical officer. You can also bring family members who are dependants with you.

If you are ready to apply, you can follow this link to the UK government website and complete your application:


Still looking for your ideal internship in London, Dublin, or the UK? Then check out Twin Internships and contact us today!