Cookie Consent by

Everything you need to know about a Tier 5 visa

Learn about Tier 5 visas and find out whether you need one before you come to the UK to complete your internship.


Hoping to work abroad in the UK but reside outside the EEA or Switzerland? The Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - International Agreement) visa will grant those from outside the EEA or Switzerland the right to work in the UK.

To qualify for this visa, it is important to be sponsored by a licensed employer. The work you do must have some relation to the work of the sponsor organisation. Once you have secured your certificate of sponsorship from the employer, you can then apply up to 3 months before the start date of your work contract. The date of the contract will be on the certificate. It takes up to 3 weeks to receive the visa, so be sure not to leave the visa too last minute. 

You will be able to stay up to 2 years usually unless the sponsor has a specified time period, in which case you will also have an extra 28 days to stay in addition to the allotted duration. If you intend to work under a contract based on the General Agreement on Trade Services (GATS) or similar trade agreements like the EU-Chile free trade agreement, then you may be limited to 6 months in any 12 month period. You will also be able to enter the UK within 14 days prior to the start date of the certificate.

There are some things you are permitted to do with the visa once it arrives. You can study, bring family, travel abroad while maintaining your visa rights and work an additional job that is listed on the Tier 2 shortage occupation list or your own sector for up to 20 hours a week.

If you would like to apply for the tier 5 visa, please be sure to visit to find out more information regarding the visa and start your visa application.


Want to find your ideal internship in London, Dublin, or the UK? Then check out Twin Internships and contact us today!